Sunday, December 4, 2011

I made it to Africa!!

It's Sunday December 4th, 2011 and I'm sitting here at Auntie K's house (Kaluba, one of our Celebration Zimbabwe ladies that I love so much!) in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe. It's kind of surreal that I'm actually here in Africa, that just 2 days ago I was in the USA and now I'm here. Amazing what air travel can do, take you half way across the world!

God is good and He really was protecting and blessing me on my journey here. Got to JAX airport early Friday morning and first person I meet is a girl traveling on the same flight as me to Johannesburg. Go God! I know God put me in her path for a reason since it was her first time to Africa and I helped her along the way. All flights were very smooth, and on the long flight to Africa I got seats open next to me, double score!!! Awesome! And a flight that was supposed to stop and refuel halfway thru (or so I thought) didn't even stop so it made it seem like the flight wasn't as long. Now that's God! The connection thru Johannesburg went super smooth and on my flight to Zimbabwe I met some missionaries from Charlotte, NC and got connected with them as they work with children in Zimbabwe often. Best news of all, ALL my luggage got here safely and on time! Nothing damaged, nothing stolen!! That is unbelievable. All my prayers along with friends and family's prayers really paid off. God keeps giving me peace through this whole journey.

I was greeted at the airport by many of my Celebration Zimbabwe family. Was so good to see so many familiar faces. I've gotten settled in with where I'm staying also. I'm staying with Auntie Feli (Felicity) and she just moved into this great apartment flat that is so spacious and comfortable (pics to come soon). The Zim ladies welcomed me Saturday evening with a wonderful feast of food (barbeque chicken, rice, pasta with beef and cheese, salad, butternut squash (Lizzie, I know how much you love that!!) and banana bread with ice cream (so much for losing some weight here, lol!) and I just keep feeling very blessed! God even brought rains to cool off Bulawayo on my first few days (it's very hot here these days). I slept like a rock my first night and resting as much as I can because this coming week we will be busy with many Kids Christmas parties.

Today (Sunday Dec 4th) I went to Celebration's Central Campus and got to see so many of my Celebration Zim friends. And I got to see some of the kids and I can't wait to spend more time in CK Kids and teaching them some of what we do in the USA with CK Kids. I especially can't wait to teach them the CK good news! Pastor Albert preached an amazing sermon to kick off the Season of Hope and it really spoke to me. He talked about what hope is and what it isn't and what we need to have hope. Our anchor needs to be Christ. Without that anchor when storms come they will blow us down and that anchor won't stick. My prayer is always that I can have such a strong trust and faith that when the struggles and storms come (and they will) my anchor in Christ will hold me firm and strong.

When Pastor Albert and so many saw me today they said "Welcome Home." And it does feel like home and I know even over more time I will start to settle into the groove of things.

More blogs and pictures also to come soon.

I'm so thankful for everyone in my life, my friends, my family, my financial and prayer partners, and most of all JESUS.

Until next time.

Love to all- Shannon


Donation Details:

Online Donations: http://www.worldoutreach.org Click Donate and Select My Name, USA & International Cards Accepted

Or Mail Checks to: World Outreach Ministries, P.O. Box B, Marietta, GA 30061 (designate for Routzahn, Fund Code #91)

1 comment:

  1. I already miss you so much! But I'm so happy and super excited for you that this journey on African soil has already begun so well. And I can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete